POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Proposing MovieProject! (was "Group Movie Project", was "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!") : Proposing MovieProject! (was "Group Movie Project", was "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!") Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Proposing MovieProject! (was "Group Movie Project", was "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!")
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 12 May 1998 05:30:25
Message: <6j94so$7r8$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hi to all POV-Ray users!

I have read first the "POV-Ray is free..." thread and then the following
"Group Movie Project" thread with growing interest, and while I don't have
too much time myself (between my job, my TreeDesigner-project and my other
hobbies :-) I think I can find some, so here comes my proposition:

I would be willing to coordinate the following project:
(This is a rough outline only)

Target is an episode-movie with all episodes around a common theme and
weaving themselfs together (like "Night on Earth" or "Shortcuts").

Minimum length is 30min, up to feature-length (depending on how much
response with get).

Rendering must be done with POV-Ray, modeling is up to the individual
artist.

The theme, storyboard, episodes etc. are decided on and created by a central
team (see below). The actual job of modeling and programming animation is
then distributed to all POV-Ray users that want to participate (and that can
deliver a certain standard of quality)

The project is purely non-profit oriented. All profit that may be generated
by selling the finished movie (or license or I don't know) - that is,
everything beyond paying for actually producing the stuff (like preparing
the distribution media etc.) - will go to a cause yet to be determined. This
could be:
- the povray.org site
- charity
- the next movie project

The project would be tightly coordinated between different teams, each team
consisting of it's "Director" and his/hers assistants:

- Coordinating Director and Team:
Responsible for coordinating all the other directors and teams, quality
ensurance, talking to the outside world etc.
(I guess my job would be this one :-)

- Technical Director and Team:
Responsible for the technical issues (software, distributed rendering,
helping with technical stuff, compiling the rendered frames into the
MPEG-movie, preparing the distribution media etc.) as well as for
distributing the render-jobs to the Render-Slaves (see below) as far as the
rendering is not already done by the individual artist.

- Art Director and Team:
Responsible for the artistical issues: Creation of the Theme, Storyboard,
coordination of the artists (see below)
(I want to be involved here too!)

- Legal and Marketing Director and Team:
Responsible for all legal issues, like copyrights, funds, liabilities etc.
as well as for selling and distributing the finished product

- Artists
All POV-Ray users that want to participate in creating models and/or
animations. A certain level of quality must be delivered by each artist (so
that the drop between the quality of different episodes is not too large)

- Render-Slaves (maybe we find a nicer name for them :-)
All POV-Ray users that want to donate processing power. They only need a
computer that runs POV-Ray, an internet connection to transfer the rendered
images (be aware that this can be a *lot* of data, that you probably don't
want to send over a 14.4 line), and time...

Since POV-Ray is TMed I don't think we can/should use it in the name for the
project, so I suggetst the following project-name:

MovieProject

I have a few megs of web-space available for MovieProject, which can be used
for the initial homepage and as a kernel for a yet to be developed
distributed MovieProject web.

So now I wait for your responses. Please answer to the newsgroup (so that
others can read it too) as well as by e-mail (so that I don't have to wait
until it shows up at my provider).
If enough people answer, and if there are people willing to fill the
different "Director" seats, you will (hopefully soon) hear from me again.
Watch this newsgroup!

And of course: If you have additions, suggestions, ideas etc. for the rough
concept above, send them!

Greetings to all,
Johannes

jhu### [at] algonetse